World Language FAQs

Why should you enroll in a world language?

  • You need 2 years (or the equivalent) to graduate from Palo Alto Unified School Dsitrict. However, the UC system and many private universities require the equivalent of 3 years of world language study to graduate from their campuses. Most universities look very favorably on students who have taken 3 – 4 years of the same world language in high school, and study of a language at the AP level is seen as evidence of high academic rigor.
  • Learning a world language will increase your employment opportunities. Only one out of ten Americans speak a second language.
  • Learning a world language helps to promote global understanding.
  • Learning a world language enriches your knowledge of culture, literature, history, music, art, and your enjoyment of traveling.

What about summer courses?

  • Summer language courses and camps can be taken for enrichment but unless prior approval is given, these courses cannot be used to accelerate the program.

What about languages not offered at Paly?

  • German is offered at Gunn High School.
  • Students may receive credit for languages not offered at Paly provided that the school is accredited and that prior approval has been granted.


Alvarado, Marina Teacher, Spanish
Badillo Novas, Pilar Teacher, Spanish
Bocksnick, Lisa Department Secretary
Duffy, Kevin Teacher, Spanish
Ezcurra, Jose Teacher, Spanish
Gonzalez, Cristina Teacher, Spanish
Guerard, Carla Teacher, French, TA, Instructional Leader (IL)
Hall, Matt Student Activities Director, Teacher, Japanese
Huang, Chingfen Teacher, Mandarin Chinese
Kamikihara, Teruko Teacher, Japanese
Resinger, Christy Teacher, French, TA
Riordan, Mary Teacher, Spanish
Rivera, Magdalena Teacher, ASL, Living Skills
Vericat, Josep Teacher, Spanish

Department News